Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Holly

It was frigid in New York today, the kind of cold where the wind takes the air out of your lungs and leaves you with an ache in your chest. Despite the cold, I was more determined than ever to find Holly, today of all days. All of these years, and I always thought of myself as still married to Holly. I could never think of her as Holly Sutton, to me she will always be Mrs. Robert Scorpio. For some reason, I found myself wandering the theatre district this afternoon. I couldn't help but remember when we were first married and I planned a trip for us in NY, complete with a trip to the theatre. Of course, as became my pattern the trip was cancelled. I guess I should just place this on my ever increasing list of life regrets. For some stupid reason, I half expected to see her come out of one of the theatres today, instead I was treated to throngs of senior groups and class trips.

Finally, I decided to treat myself to a "you lost the love of your life" anniversary belt, but for some reason I found myself parked outside St. Patrick's. I have no clue why, it's not as if we had a huge church wedding but somehow it felt right today. Anyway, as I turned to leave I saw the back of the most beautiful woman I would ever see, complete with an overpriced hat. The hair on the back of my neck tingled, and my breath caught in my throat, and not from the cold this time. Holly, my beautiful wonderful Holly. I finally had the advantage, she had not yet seen me, and so I darted across the street to where she was. I reached out and touched her shoulder, and as she turned towards me, I captured her lips with mine. Even though the kiss was entirely too short, at least we weren't interrupted by Spencer this time. I'm not sure what she's gotten herself into but the plot has definitely thickened. I barely had a chance to say, "It would have been our 24th anniversary," before something spooked her, and she fled- again. Before she ran, she pulled me close, and whispered she had never signed the divorce papers. God, I need an explanation but she was gone from sight before I could get a word out. So I guess tonight is spent alone, on the computer again and cashing in my ever increasing frequent flyer miles.